Znamenskaya square was quite late in the 1840 `s. It was designed by architect Nikolai Yefimov in connection with the construction of the Nicholas railway station. In 1847. A.p. Gemillianom built the hotel 'Znamenskaya' (later 'North', 'Great Northern' 1932 'Oktyabrskaya'). In 1900, it was added to the sixth floor, and in 1960, when reconstruction of the neighbouring House is attached. In addition, in the square stood out which gave it the name of Znamenskaya Church and monument Alexander III (1909). Neither of the other does not come down to our time: in place of the first metro station, the site of the second 40-year-old Obelisk.